Re: [NTLK] Newton History

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Sat Feb 21 2009 - 15:43:28 EST

Joel:

I agree. Predicting what you want based on context is laudable and probably what most people want and associate with AI (of course some sort of intelligent Agent to go with it). As you say, though, it's the subtle things, the day-to-day things, that, if a computer can automate, make all the difference between tedious repetition and freedom.

I have been exploring Automator and Applescript, which can sort of emulate AI. But with my limited time, and the fact that I am just mentally washed on the weekends, I don't have much energy to devote to these two pieces of tech. Although I have made some nifty Automator scripts. But both of these things will not really enable your computer to learn anything, they are rudimentary applications that allow one to make workflows and automate things that at best work in very limited ways, although Applescript is much more powerful than Automator.

But ya, why can't OS X, for instance, realize that every time I make a folder beginning in:

PO | PRJ

I initiate the same or similar series of actions each and every time. And then, take this knowledge and just automate it for me. There could be a switch in system preferences to turn AI on or off, and when on, it will automate these actions for the user: it will automate based on what it has learned the user does. Even when turned off, the AI would be learning your workflows. So you would have to break your computer in for a while, but after some time, all that repetition should be completely gone.

If there are some subtle differences in the actions you take in relation to a particular workflow, it could automatically display a pop up menu at the right time giving you choices in the workflow...

What do programmers call this approach? GTD approach? Workflow approach? AI approach? Is this even a known approach?

Ryan