Re: [NTLK] Newton History

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Sat Feb 21 2009 - 07:40:50 EST

Well, the problem is isolated to computers having trouble with semantics: they really don't understand anything at all, they just "compute" (Searle's Chinese Room analogy/argument).

This, of course, adversely affects an AI driven computer's ability to predict things, and respond meaningfully. At best a computer operates in a very rudimentary ad hoc fashion. The KN agent didn't suffer from this problem, and seemed to grasp what the professor wanted, and was "intelligent" enough to even joke about the last minute being basically right at the time his lecture started.

The KN knew how to quickly access an article the Professor wanted just based on a couple of factors, like the author's name and the University he was at. Or asking the Professor whether he wanted to answer a call. Very human like. I don't have the knowledge of different programming languages, but I wonder what languages would be able to recreate some of what the KN does.

Ryan