Re: [NTLK] Wifi Cards and Browsers

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Feb 19 2009 - 21:29:14 EST

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:11 PM, Tony Morrow <gizmo1482@gmail.com> wrote:
> I assumed that statement was about the Airport Extreme cards.

Unfortunately no I wasn't referring to the AExtreme cards.

> I can take a Lucent WaveLan card, plug it into the Airport slot of my G4
> PowerMac, and get wireless access. I can't close the case because of
> the antenna, but it does work.

This may work in this direction, however from another list members post from
Aussie Land iirc he stated they did not and he is an Apple Tech out there
iirc on this too :-P

I think the original Airport card is a standard PC Card and should work in
> the Newton.

I believe there is a/are pin/pins that are different and an Airport card
will not work with a PC and therefore not in a Newton.I have then and they
did not work.
The SONY VAIO card is actually a WaveLAN Gold card and has the same foot
print as an Airport.
If you check these photos you will see the similarities of the various
cards.

Here is the working version of the SONY VAIO
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/92016538/
Here is the non-working version of the SONY VAIO
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/116689071/
Here is the COMPAQ OEM Version of the WaveLAN (Silver Version)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/92016539/
Here is the PCB of the above card (here to show the PCB layout)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/1263643108/
Here is the PCB of the Airport Card
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/1262786951/
Here is the PCB of the WaveLAN (Silver Version)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/1263643742/

if you look at the Regular WaveLAN card - The PCB picture you can see there
is a break point where the Airport Card sized cards is shortened and where
the antenna connectors are attached.
Hopefully this will give everyone a clear understanding (better
understanding) Now if someone happens to prove that the Airport Card will
work in the Newton be my guest ^_^m I'd be happy to hear that.

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung