Re: [NTLK] [OT] this new OS...

From: Joseph Reilly <reilly001os_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun Feb 08 2009 - 13:58:27 EST

Yep, sounds like NOS written for current desktop hardware. There may
be some small differences in levels of persistance but it looks
interesting. Considering we haven't had a real shift in desktop OS
thinking in a long time this could be very exciting if this guy gets
anywhere commercially with it. Everyone thought OSX was a big shift in
the desktop space and it was to the extent of getting a unix like
system into consumer hands ( vs professionals) but it was a fail when
you consider it uses the same unix-like stuff as everyone else. Even
though OSX does innovate at what it does, it's still just another
posix system and we needed another one of those like we need another
Linux distro. IMHO apple gave up "thinking different" (in terms of
their OS) when they dropped the ball with Copland/gershwin and jump on
the posix bandwagon. Of course apple has a history of not only inhouse
innovation but also outhouse buying (see: 3rd party extenstions bought
& integrated into system 7.5, iTunes, sticky notes, OSX, pixo iPod
software, newton cursive hwr, etc). Sorry for the rant, I'm still a
little dissappointed at how the mac OS evolved :-( but this Phantom OS
gets me excited (about OS's) again!

Joe Reilly