Re: [NTLK] Newton Screen Test - Take 3

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon Feb 02 2009 - 11:18:39 EST

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Ken Whitcomb <ken@imageguild.com> wrote:
> It is my understanding that this layout was created to intentionally
> slow down typists finger movements because it was possible to to type
> so fast that the mechanical arms could not retreat out of the path of
> the next arm without having them hit each other. Solve one problem,
> create another! Not that the mechanics that created manual typewriters
> could have seen the advent of electric typewriters let alone computers
> with keyboards.

It is also worth pointing out, that your average person, with a
smattering of touch-typing training/experience, can type 50-60 wpm,
which also seems to be about as fast as the average person can think
and type at the same time. ;-) So, combining those two features, we
are 'stuck' in a "good-enough" situation that doesn't really warrant
fixing. I'm perfectly happy with my typing speed (generally 60 wpm)
when thinking. On those rare occasions when I am transcribing, I could
wish I could type faster, but generally, my typing speed is sufficient
for me, so QWERTY or QWERTZ (Polish), works just fine.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland