[NTLK] FS: MP2000 with LOTS of extras - Interest for my first MessagePad -

dograt at earthlink.net dograt at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 27 18:43:19 EST 2009

On Dec 27, 2009, at 3:20 PM, Grant Hutchinson wrote:

> On Dec 24, 2009, at 1:55 PM, dograt at earthlink.net wrote:
>
>> It's considered bad form to "fish" for offers like this on a
>> community list. Decide what you want to receive for it and ask the
>> price. If you're afraid of getting taken advantage of, then just list
>> it on ebay.
>
> There is nothing stated in the NewtonTalk FAQ which specifically
> discourages "fishing" for offers of an item for sale.

Did I say there was?

> As long the the
> subject line is marked as [FS] to indicate that an item is being
> offered for sale to the list (which it was), there are really no other
> stipulations.
>
> http://newtontalk.net/faq/
>
> As noted by Valerio, sometimes it is difficult to come up with a price
> on your own accord.

Than that implies a reason for "fishing", which is considered bad
form. If there is difficulty, then that means there is no direct
impetus, e.g., what you paid for it,  for establishing a price and
the seller is merely attempting to extract the most amount of money
regardless of true worth. Yes, there's no rule against it, but on a
close-knit community of geeks and aficionados, it is bad form. One
can easily search online resellers and ebay for closed auctions if
one is truly at a loss for what something's market value is.

To obstinately refuse to name an asking price and repeatedly state,
"what is your offer?" is being disingenuous at best, and predatory at
worst.

> Likewise, many people have an aversion to selling
> thing on eBay.

Agreed, but that has no bearing on the issue at hand of fishing for
offers.

> g.

dave