[NTLK] iPhone is not the new Newton (& announcing a Newt sell-off shortly)

Dennis B. Swaney romad at aol.com
Sun Dec 27 12:59:18 EST 2009

Edward Kenworthy wrote:
> You dissent but don't actually explain why.
>
> One of the central features of the Newt is it's handwriting recognition and rather smart integration with the rest of the system. The iPhone doesn't have handwriting recognition at all. The iPhone doesn't have expansion slots either.
>
> About the only things that the iPhone has in common with the Newt are that it's made by Apple and has a touch screen.

Actually, you can do just about everything the Newton could do right
now, with the current exception of hwr. The iPhone/iTouch doesn't need
expansion slots like the Newton did because it has way more built in
memory. My iPhone has 32GB of memory; how many Newtons can say the same
without using expansion cards?

As for hwr, it will come eventually, but it isn't that critical since I
can currently write on the screen with my stylus and save what I've
written. The iPhone/iTouch is the descendant of the Newton and the
forefather of the "iTablet" to come.

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney