[NTLK] Removing stripped screw - eMate 300/Arrives!!!!

Stephen Rudy srudy at cudc.org
Wed Dec 23 15:17:42 EST 2009

If you are left with a broken plastic tower around the screw with no head, see if you have room for some needlenose pliers right on the broken plastic tower. Twist it out of the base with that.

If you can't get to the sides, go find a "reverse" or "left hand" drill bit smaller than the shank of the screw. The reverse bits work amazingly well on broken hardware. Chuck it up, put your drill in reverse, and go to town. The heat from drilling usually breaks loose the screw and you spin the broken bolt/screw right out before you get through drilling it. If you do get through it without getting the screw out. EZ-out in the hole. If that doesn't work, drill and tap it. usually for bigger hardware.

The only trouble with the reverse drill bits is finding one. The Snap-on truck has 'em for sure. Part number EXDL10. Get a 2010 Snap-on calendar while you are at it!

Here is a non-Snap-on option.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/Titan-13-Pc-Screw-Extractor-and-Reverse-Drill-Bit-Set.aspx?a=527494&kwtid=299731

-Stephen