[NTLK] Serial Connection

Tony Morrow gizmo1482 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 20:02:19 EST 2009

On Dec 15, 2009, at 10:28 AM, Stefan Thorsteinson wrote:

> Has anyone tried, or have reason not to try, using the standard
> issue Newton
> Dongle to serial cable (9 Pin serial) - then pass thru a male to
> male serial
> adapter - then thru a female serial to PS2 adapter - then thru a
> PS2 to USB
> adapter? Convoluted to be sure but, It does get me from the back of my
> Newton to a female USB.

Everything looked good until you said PS/2 to USB adapter. Windows 98
will not see the PS/2 ports on the adapter as COM ports. The only
thing that would be detected would be keyboards and mice. Your best
option is to go out and buy a USB to Serial adapter. Many people on
the list have used the Keyspan USA-19HS with great success on both
Windows PC and Macs. We're talking Windows 98, ME, XP, Vista, MAC OS
8, 9, and X. The adapter will work with almost any system and can be
purchased for $25 or less.

-Tony Morrow