[NTLK] 2010 patch

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Mon Dec 14 21:30:15 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 8:15 PM, Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog at gmail.com> wrote:
> ~~~ On 2009/12/14 23:55, Grant Hutchinson at grant at splorp.com wrote ~~~
>
>> Just to clarify this ... the 71J059 patch does *not* actually
>> supersede the 710031 patch, as the 710031 patch does contain some
>> minor fixes which are not included in the 71J059 patch. As Eckhart
>> notes on his site ... "The functionality of patch 710031 might at a
>> later point be merged into a new patch."
>>
>> http://40hz.org/Pages/Patch%2071J059
>>

> My head hurts!   That quote comes from a paragraph that says "Patch 710031:
> This patch needs to be removed before the 71J059 patch can be applied (see
> below)."
>
> So does that mean that in switching to the new patch we're losing some
> functionality or other?  Any way to know what it is?

Yes, we're losing a fix to a "bug in the Newton OS 2.1's Dates
program, where found dates cannot be printed or faxed." Avi Drissman
wrote a patch for this bug
<http://www.drissman.com/avi/newton/DatesFindBugfix/DFBReadMe.html>
and Paul Guyot turned it into a System Update 710031 (until Eckhart's
hard work, the "only system update that was not designed by Apple").
It can still be downloaded from <http://www.kallisys.com/>, but the
documentation on it has to be dug up on the Internet Wayback Machine:
<http://web.archive.org/web/20051023232249/www.kallisys.com/newton/rustines/en>

Morgan Aldridge
---
morgant at makkintosshu.com