[NTLK] Problems connecting by serial cable.

Don Zahniser dzahniser at rochester.rr.com
Mon Dec 14 06:26:09 EST 2009

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 04:32:31 -0500, Edward Kenworthy wrote:

> Finally got all the hardware I thought I needed (serial adapter for the
> newt, usb->serial adapter for my Mac). Installed the drivers and my Mac
> sees the usb-serial adapter. Plug in the newt, try to dock over serial
> and it fails. Only point of concern is the widget that goes in the top
> doesn't fit as tightly as I would expect.
>
> Any suggestions?

There is a known problem with MP2x00 Newtons, in which the socket for the
Newton Internet Connector (that the dongle plugs into) comes loose from
its moorings.  Hopefully that is not the case for yours, because there is
not much hope of a fix.

http://www.splorp.com/newton/faq/newton-faq-hardware.html#IIC6f

It could still be a software issue, though.  What model of Mac, what OS,
what software are you using from the Mac side?

You should always try to initiate the connection from the Newton Dock.

--
Don Zahniser