[NTLK] eMate hinge repair question - how critical is the one that ISN'T near the display cable?

R A Parker RAParker at Newted.ORG
Sat Dec 12 22:13:05 EST 2009

I would consider the necessity for the operation as pretty critical.
As the instructions say, it is necessary to fix the springs, reshaped
them and replace the lubrication on them. It is the old lubrication
that has caused them to change shape and snap. If the other spring
hasn't snapped, consider yourself pretty lucky. Nevertheless, you may
still need to re-shape it if even a little bit. So, doing the full
rebuild is probably a good idea. The dented washers ensure that, in
the future, those springs will never pop again.

The de-soldering and re-soldering of those two wires is really quite
easy.  You just need to give yourself time, to make sure that you put
all the pieces down, systematically, and then you're able to get them
back together again. Just follow the instructions on Frank Gruendel's
site closely, making sure that you check the volume and contrast
sliders. That's usually the last thing everybody misses.

Yes, those springs usually pop within weeks of getting a new (even a
brand new looking) eMate. It's the best thing to take care if them
right away. I did. It's certainly beats having to buy a new ribbon
cable.

--
Sent using an iNewt 3G Touch.
--