[NTLK] Known problems with SR-8174-C model DVD drive in Apple Powerbook Pismo

Frank Gruendel newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Fri Dec 11 17:24:10 EST 2009

Hi folks,

this post isn't off-topic although the subject makes you think so. I'm currently resurrecting my
trusty ol' Powerbook Pismo for some Newton-related issues.

This beast has a CD / DVD ROM drive, model number SR-8174-C, that is kind of unreliable. Some CDs
and DVDs are mounted, some aren't. Quicktime even crashes when trying to play a particular Video CD.
All these CDs and DVDs work fine in all other computers I've tried them in.

This is why I bought an identical (used) drive at eBay last week. It arrived yesterday and, lo and
behold, shows almost the same symptoms.

Is this a known problem with the drives used in the Pismos and Lombards of that time? The drive in
question was to the best of my knowledge manufactured by Panasonic. Does anybody here know of a
different model that has the same form factor and would fit in the Pismo? Or would anybody here
happen to have a drive that's definitely OK, or a Pismo he'd trade for Newton stuff or sell for
parts?

Thanks a lot

Frank