[NTLK] New Newton user! Also, question re. connecting to Vista PC.

Matt Howe matthowe at comcast.net
Thu Dec 10 15:05:45 EST 2009

I have a 2100 and an Emate. I connect them to a Windows XP box. The best
method I have found is Microsoft's Virtual Machine and then install Win 98
SE. On the Win 98 SE VM, install Newton Connection Utilities. NCU is
available from www.unna.org and the MS VM is available from Microsoft. Both
are free. You will also need a PC serial connection cable which looks like
an S-Video cable on one end and a nine pin on the other. These are available
from a number of places but hopefully you have one in your Emate box. It
should work for both Newtons. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions.
Also you might find the FAQ listed at the bottom of the Email very useful.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
SantaMatt at Gmail.com (Nokia N770)
matthowe at comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/
http://SantaMatt.blogspot.com

Bjorn Keizers wrote:
<snip>
Last week I bought a used German MessagePad 130 off Ebay. I'm waiting
for delivery on that. I also bought a 'brand new' Emate 300 off a
Dutch auction site. Only used once, complete with boxes, papers, etc.
That one arrived this afternoon!

I also have a question. I did some research into connection options
for the Newtons. The Newton Connection Tools are probably my best
option. I have one of those tiny, round connection ports (Localtalk,
right?) on my HP Pavillion laptop. That one runs Vista.

Problem is, the site for NCT seems offline. Does anyone know where I
might find a demo / full version?

Any other options are much appreciated.
<snip>