[NTLK] OT: Better keyboard, mouse for iMac alu midsummer 2007

Don Zahniser dzahniser at rochester.rr.com
Wed Dec 9 13:54:02 EST 2009

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 13:21:38 -0500, James Fraser
<wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> --- On Wed, 12/9/09, Don Zahniser <dzahniser at rochester.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I really love the Kensington Slim Type keyboard, both for its
>> feel and for its compact design.  I 'lost' it when I changed My
>> Lady Technophobe over from a Quadra 650 with IIGS keyboard to a blue
>> iMac. She has neuropathy, and the Slim Type is a lot easier on her hands
>> than the other keyboards I had available (the iMac keyboard, Apple Pro
>> keyboard, etc).
>
> From what I can tell, (and please correct me if I'm wrong) the
> Kensington keyboard has short key travel, feather-light touch, and a
> soft key landing.  Does that sound like an accurate description?

Yes.

> If I recall correctly, (again, correct me if the description I give is
> an inaccurate one as my own experience with them was [mercifully] brief)
> the newer Apple keyboards have short key travel, feather-light touch,
> and a *hard* key landing.  If that is an accurate description, that last
> property is one that might make for a somewhat rougher experience for
> the hands of typists (and would be particularly unkind to folks who have
> nerve problems).

My wife's neuropathy combines a lack of touch sensation along with
over-sensitivity/pain from movement and impact.  It's still a real chore
for her to type at all, but the Slim Type at least makes it bearable.  I
have had no exposure to any of the newer Apple keyboards, as the Cube was
my newest computer.  I was more than happy to 'give up' the Apple Pro
keyboard that it came (and departed) with.  I'm currently using a Pismo,
which has a wonderful keyboard for reasons similar to the Slim Type.

--
Don Zahniser