[NTLK] [ADMIN] Earthlink blocking NewtonTalk messages

Grant Hutchinson grant at splorp.com
Mon Dec 7 13:26:22 EST 2009

On Dec 6, 2009, at 4:24 PM, Ken Whitcomb wrote:

> If EL and MindSpring Postmasters are doing what CL is doing, you'll
> need to talk to your ISP and have them change the broadcast host
> name of your IP address to something appropriate such as
> XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX at newtontalk.net instead of having their domain in
> the host name.

I'm not sure if this is even a possibility with the Media Temple
shared hosting account that we're currently using. However, I will
take a look into it.

I have a feeling that the IP was blocked even before NewtonTalk (and
the other sites hosted by Bill Shamam) were moved over to Media
Temple. Since it's a shared IP across numerous domains, there's no
telling what sites may have been using the same IP as the list server
before us.

At this point, the block has been removed by Earthlink and I will be
monitoring this more closely going forward.

Thanks for the additional information Ken.

g.

Grant Hutchinson
NewtonTalk List Dad & Web Custodian

http://splorp.com/newton