[NTLK] CNET: Newton verses iPhone

James Fraser wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 7 02:38:45 EST 2009

Hello,

--- On Sun, 12/6/09, Mark Rollins <mark at mrollins.com> wrote:

> I do miss handwriting recognition and wish there was a
> larger keyboard, but the iphone is at least 5x the functionality
> in 1/3 the size.

I have to ask: are there even *rumors* of an external keyboard for the iPhone being unveiled at the Macworld Expo in February 2010?  Or is Bluetooth so draining on the iPhone battery that Apple still won't even consider releasing one (or at least enable a third party to release one)?

In my typical childish, misguided enthusiasm, I've been fascinated by the MacAlly BTKeyMini (possibly because, if you half close your eyes and stand back a few feet, you can kinda-sorta pretend you're looking at a Newton Keyboard).

http://www.avalive.com/pimages/pimage_43579.jpg

But as near as I can make out, the MacAlly keyboard has yet to ship, despite being raring to go since March of 2008.   It seems that perhaps either A) the MacAlly folks badly underestimated the drain on battery life for a Bluetooth keyboard before they decided to build one or B) Apple is leery of providing the required Bluetooth keyboard drivers that would allow such a third-party keyboard to work out of fear of degrading battery life to the point where the increased functionality of an external keyboard is going to be drowned out in all the wailing about the hit to battery life.

Alternately, maybe Apple might not care to offer an external keyboard because that could mean the iPhone would cut into Tablet sales?

(If nothing else, has a Tablet Drinking Game been suggested for Newtontalk yet?)

Best,

James Fraser