Re: [NTLK] Aim Transport

From: Christian Walther <cptsalek_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Aug 20 2009 - 15:20:50 EDT

Hi,

2009/8/20 Joshua Armenta <josharmenta@gmail.com>:
> Since there has been lots of discussion regarding chatting on the
> newton, I thought I'd mention this to everyone.
>
> After trawling through the AOL developer's documentation site in the
> hopes of fixing NewtChat, I think I have finally come across why we
> can't connect directly to the AOL servers.
>
> Unfortunately, AOL now uses (y'all guessed it) SSL Authenticiation in
> its packets, in addition to a rewrite of its protocols.

There is a really nice alternative to using IM at all: Using ChatBuddy
or another IRC Client on the Newton with bilbee:
http://www.bitlbee.org/main.php/news.r.html
Bitlbee merges IM and IRC. You can download the program which would
deal as a private IRC server, or you connect to a public server. I
tried it a while ago, and concerning the public servers I'm not sure
about privacy, security, escpecially when it comes down to account
data.
It is a nice interface, though, especially if you're used to IRC.
Might be worth a try.

I might add it to my list, but since there's still "set up good ol'
9600 PowerMac" and "install Y2010-Fix on my 2000U and eMate" on them,
I doubt that this will be anytime soon.

Christian