Re: [NTLK] Pen computing is dead... long live the iNewt

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Aug 17 2009 - 19:32:29 EDT

~~~ On 2009/08/17 15:19, James Fraser at
wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk@yahoo.com wrote ~~~

> I don't know about the folding part, but the folks at GRiD *did* offer a gas
> plasma display on their GridCase III model laptop circa 1985:
>
> http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=1054
>
> Anyone who saw one of these displays likely remembers it, as they were a
> really cool blood red. :) I'm pretty sure it was a GridCase IV that was used
> to control (at least on-screen) the robot sentries in Aliens (which were only
> shown in either the European release or in the LD/DVD releases).

Yeah, I saw them -- nearly bought one of these. And there was a time as
luggables got a little smaller -- as they evolved to laptop size -- when a
couple of other high-end (read: "expensive") manufacturers also had these
displays. Toshiba was one, IIRC. And I considered buying one of those too
for a bit. But I wanted real portability, not just an anchor in a plastic
case. That meant some kind of battery life as opposed to a long power
cable, and finding something of a much, much lighter weight, and sacrificing
pretty screen for a monochrome that would be less power hungry.

What I was talking about was speculation that within a few years of back
then, we'd be using laptops that folded to be about the size we take for
granted now, except for the display which would fold out to give us
something more along the lines of a 28" display. It would be plasma of
course. They never said how a battery was supposed to power the thing for
more about 10 min.

I don't even want someone like that touching my leg, let alone pulling it.

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl