Re: [NTLK] pretec 32 meg card dies mysteriously--film at 11!

From: James Wages <james_at_kiramek.com>
Date: Sun Aug 16 2009 - 04:25:36 EDT

My 32MB linear card died after I did a hardware reset by pushing the button
on the back (because that was the only thing I could go at the time). As I
recall, it took multiple presses of that button to initiate the boot
sequence too.

But I still don't know the technical reasons why this should fry a card. To
me, having to eject the card is about as silly as a statement like
"disconnect your external SCSI drive before you cold boot your SE/30." I
would think the Newton should have been built better to avoid destruction to
valuable cards in the PCMCIA slots. Indeed, the loss of my 32MB card cost
me about $70. I have a new 32MB card now that is working fine, but I am
still quite disturbed about why my other card was destroyed. Indeed, that
is the only major complaint I have in my years of using the Newton.

--James Wages