Re: [NTLK] pretec 32 meg card dies mysteriously--film at 11!

From: James Wages <james_at_kiramek.com>
Date: Sat Aug 15 2009 - 01:55:55 EDT

sstrungis wrote:
> yesterday I try an install a newly made Newt Book on my 2000U. It
> gets to the end of the instal and the Newt locks up. After a soft
> reset the OS errors with the "card not recognized" dialog.

I had the same problem. I begged for help on this list, but everyone just
said I was out of luck. I then spoke to someone here off list and he kindly
offered to use his expensive scanning equipment to check my card on the
hardware level. I shipped it to him, he did the scan, he said my card was
dead.

Thankfully, I was offered another 32MB linear card by someone on this list.
I bought that and have been happy ever since.

I don't know why my card died. Doesn't make sense to me. But I suspect
that I should never leave any PCMCIA card in the slots when I do a Newton
reboot of any kind. Some may call me crazy, but I cannot help but think
that the act of leaving my card inserted during the reboot is what killed it
(as opposed to my card having died and then causing the lockup).

So before you have to reboot your 2100's, eject those precious 32MB linear
cards. They are hard to come by!

Best,

James Wages