Re: [NTLK] Safari Pad - Apple's Tablet Computer

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Thu Apr 30 2009 - 19:53:21 EDT

//SECRET//
//30:04:2009:04:00GMT//

BEGIN MESSAGE

Neat modern Knowledge Navigator Concept linked to at the end of the message:

Having been using a few neat features in OS X these past few weeks, I think I can see where Apple can pull off a Touch Screen device sans stylus.

Still not something that will solve all of the problems, but the following feature is pretty killer when applied to tablets, and is built into OS X.

(Most probably know this already...).

The feature is highlight and drag. Just highlight any chunk of text, and then drag it to where you want an action to be initiated. For instance, highlight

myopic

then drag it overtop the dictionary icon in the Dock - the definition comes up. Or drag a clump of text over Safari and those keywords get searched...

This will save a lot of time inputing info via an onscreen keyboard, and is already saving me lots of time with my laptop. Combine this with, say, Apple's Safari Favorites pane, and there is less and less need to input text. In addition, Google's predictive keyword text mitigates even more so the need to input text.

Combine this with speech, and there is even less need for keyboards and styluses...

Of course I still want a stylus, and a stylus is still useful and practical for many reasons, but I can see Apple touting these above features in some instructional/promotional video for their new tablet - if it ever surfaces.

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/20966/

All the best,

Ryan