[NTLK] Linear Flash Cards from Cisco Routers?

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Fri Apr 24 2009 - 18:59:47 EDT

> Will the PCMCIA linear flash cards from Cisco routers work in
> Newtons?

The answer is a definite maybe. I once learned the hard way that is not a good idea to give them a
chance. I lost 100% of my notes from a developer conference when the card suddenly refused any
cooperation after having made no problems whatsoever for a couple of months.

If I were you, I wouldn't risk it. As has been pointed out previously, flash cards have a limited
number of write cycles. With normal Newton use I doubt you could ever get close to that maximum, but
routers might write to these cards many times per minute. This is why they used to be replaced on a
regular basis, and this is why there are so many cards from routers for sale out there.

Frank