Re: [NTLK] Safari Pad - Apple's Tablet Computer

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu Apr 23 2009 - 01:52:01 EDT

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 6:38 AM, Tony Kan <tonykan@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> Much more than the some $400m in R&D he quoted.

Yes, but was not all this stock sold because, in fact, Apple had
already killed the Newton? This article has the big sell-off in 1998.
It was part of what "provided much-needed revenue during Apple's dark
days."

And while we are on the subject. People tend to forget that
Apple/Steve didn't just kill the Newton. OpenDoc was killed, and one
of their one-time cash cows--the printer division was eliminated. For
myself, that was equally painful. I loved Apple printers--I have owned
ImageWriters, StyleWriters and LaserWriters--they were all marvels of
simplicity and functionality. My last LaserWriter, in fact, finally
gave up its ghost in 2004. And as to OpenDoc, I continued to use that
(Cyberdog and Wav) as well for a couple/few years. In fact, I would
probably be still using Cyberdog, if the interwebs hadn't changed so
drastically. I've never found an email program that was as much a
pleasure to use as Cybie.

My point: The Newton wasn't the only thing to go. There was a lot of
pain to spread around. But, that was yesterday. Why keep crying over
milk that was spilled a _decade_ ago!?

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland