Re: [NTLK] Apple Newton Search Question

From: Michael J. Hußmann <michael_at_michael-hussmann.de>
Date: Wed Apr 22 2009 - 10:33:57 EDT

Jon Glass (jonglass@usa.net) wrote:

> To the best of my knowledge, it is still performing the same kind of
> search, whether system-wide, chosen apps or a single app. It searches
> the soups, but I believe it is actually only searching the indexes of
> the soups. BTW, not all apps allow searching.

Find is implemented on an app-by-app basis. If you want your application
to support seaching, you implement a Find or DateFind method that does
the actual searching -- the latter is for dates and needs to support
comparison operators -- and a ShowFoundItems method for displaying found
items. When the user invokes a system-wide search, the OS sends Find or
DateFind messages to all the apps registered as supporting searches.
Each app then adds its found items to a global list which eventually is
displayed as an overview. When the user taps on an items, it is
displayed in more detail using the apps ShowFoundItems method.

In most cases, the search will be soup-based, but within your app, you
can implement it any way you like.

- Michael

Michael J. Hußmann

E-mail: michael@michael-hussmann.de