Re: [NTLK] [LONG] The life on the dull side of OS 1.x (was: Interest in Newton 110?)

From: Ken Whitcomb <ken_at_imageguild.com>
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 15:02:12 EDT

Matej,
I enjoyed reading your post, and am glad to see teenagers other than
my two daughters still using MessagePads. This is extremely
encouraging to me.
As for your frustration with the community, let me simply propose that
why any of the people that have developed for any of the Newton OS
versions since Feb. of 1998 have done so was because they choose to,
whether it suited their own needs or because they sought commercial
gain from their efforts, they chose to write code because they stood
to gain something. At this point, there is likely to be little if any
commercial gain by developing for this platform, which leaves the
strongest motivation to those that have something to gain from having
the product of such development available to them. In that vein I say
"Have at it!", and join the small group of curious people that sit at
their desk or kitchen tables in the evening after their day's work is
done, writing and testing code to run on Message Pads because they
want to.
best wishes on your project,
ken