Re: [NTLK] Newbie - Please Frogive the Ineptitude

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 19:18:29 EDT

Hi Stefan:

Thanks for the info. As for the auction, no comment on that.

I wanted to let you know: be very careful with new Newton's, or any 'new', old piece of tech. The boards are brittle and have not been worked in. You need to use them carefully, and slowly for about a month before getting into heavy use. If it were me, I would take it apart and check for corrosion. I have just gone through the pains of doing so on one brand new eMate, and another 2100. The 2100 had a brittle board, and a bit of corrosion. When I tried to charge a battery in it, I fried a supercapacitor, and had to replace the motherboard. On the eMate, I found all kinds of corrosion on the motherboard that I removed as best I could.

So far so good on them now.

All the best.

Ryan