Re: [NTLK] Where can I find simple step-by-step instructions

From: Marcus Daniel <marcusdaniel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Sep 28 2008 - 14:47:24 EDT

I found that the best Serial to USB adapters (PC Serial to USB) are
those with Prolific chipsets in them. Prolific offers a current Mac OS
X driver and I got all my newtons to work with it (inclusive and up to
the last 10.5.5). You can find a generic driver that might work with
many unspecified adapters on sourceforge, sorry dont have the link at
hand.

One problem you might have is the settings for your Serial speed.
Remember to set it in 3 locations to the SAME settings. Experimenting
I have found the most consistent performance with 57600 settings. Set
this here:

- Newton side dock/contact panel
- Mac side: the app you will be using, NCX etc, within that app
- Mac side: System Preferences>Network>there should be a new entry for
your USB-Serial Adapter cable connection. Under advanced it should
already have a Null-modem connecton set to the same speed, if not
adjust it.

PS: if you use a Prolific chipset adapter (those generic no name ones
are often prolific, ask the seller), make sure to remove all drivers
that are not for it, from the system. Under Mac OS X the prolifc
driver will even alert you to remove them.

Best,
Marcus Daniel