Re: [NTLK] Newton Connection Tools September 2008 Review?

From: W. Kim <wanjin32_at_yahoo.co.kr>
Date: Sat Sep 27 2008 - 23:47:00 EDT

--- Dan <dan@dbdigitalweb.com>

> the software is 'locked' to a particular newton. If the developer
> disappears and my current newton dies, I am 'up a creek' as the saying
> goes.

That's could be a worst scenario, but also could be happen.

So your newton dies and want to keep using the software with another newton. this case you can
remove DS2401 chip from your died newton's logic board and soldering to new newton, the software
will be no complian about serial number, because on the 2.1 devices, the Newton ID is stored in a
specialized chip, the Dallas Semiconductor DS2401 Serial Number ROM.

Wanjin