Re: [NTLK] GPS on 2000 or 2100?

From: R A Parker <Quadzillanet_at_SBCGlobal.NET>
Date: Sun Sep 21 2008 - 12:15:00 EDT

On Sunday, September 14, 2008 at 4:41 pm SteveCraft wrote:

> Does it make more sense to do a GPS
> solution with a 2100 (because it has
> more Heap) or a 2000 (because a 2100
> is overkill for GPS)?

I'm currently using a MessagePad 120 v.2.0. I'm also considering a 130 for GPS purposes as well. Reasons:

If I drop, drown, or otherwise need to replace my GPS Newton, MP 120's and MP 130's are cheaper to replace than a 2100.

The form factor of the MP 120 & 130 is another thing. More compact, less ports and other openings. Fits better in my US Army Camo Case. I have a single 16MB Flash Card for maps and I don't have to swap cards... no need to fiddle with the Newton when it's in its case.

My 2100 is great for everyday use. However, I don't need the full functionality of a 2100 when I'm in the field, using my GPS. I also like being able to grab my GPS Newton, complete and ready to roll... no moving around and re-packing of stuff into a different case to get the GPS ready.

> Assume the MessagePad is basically
> just doing GPS and Notes, no NewtWorks
> or a lot of other Extras

Yup.

--
Sent with Mail V and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
       |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM