Re: [NTLK] [OT] really...please reply off list...Apple Airport questions

From: Ken Whitcomb <ken_at_imageguild.com>
Date: Fri Sep 12 2008 - 22:04:08 EDT

Hi Ed,
There are several versions of the Apple Airport, and the earlier have
modems, including the first generation (11Mb/s WLAN) which look like a
gray or silver UFO. Any of these will do exactly what you'd like them
to. The Airport Extreme has a couple of other tricks up its sleeve as
well, like a print server and the ability to stream music from iTunes
on the LAN to a miniplug connection to one's stereo.

3Com made a non-wireless router w/ modem for a while too. It was
branded "OfficeConnect" and if you don't need a radio, these would
probably be less expensive than the Airports. They are somewhat more
complicated to configure, but neither should present a problem for you.

IIRC, both of these are configured with an application rather than a
web interface. Hmmm, now that I think about it, maybe the later 3COM
devices had a web GUI in them.

Sorry that I don't have one I can part with. My airports are all in
service and the OfficeConnect router rides with me daily in case a
customer's broadband connection goes South.

best,

ken