Re: [NTLK] Solar Charger Comments?

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Sep 09 2008 - 17:26:14 EDT

I think that it was discussed on this list a few years ago and was found out that charging batteries with solar panels was rather pointless in that it invariably took longer to charge the batteries than the sun actually shined for an entire day. Granted, that was using solar technology that was several years old and with off the shelf consumer products. Better results were had with custom solar systems or multiple solar systems in parallel.
Do a search on the archives for the word "solar" and see what comes up.
Perhaps with recent advances in third generation solar technology, it may be somewhat more practical than it was back in 2002 when this subject took over this list originally!
Ed
web/gadget guru
Never mind that we just had an incredibly cold winter in North America and huge record snowfalls across the continent. As Al Gore said to a bunch of us the other day, these record cold spells and record snowfalls are actually caused by global warming. To which Jerry York replied, 'Jeez then I guess we better stop this global warming before we all f**king freeze to death, eh?'

- 'Fake' Steve Jobs 3/24/08 blog entry