Re: [NTLK] Dedicated Newton Forum?

From: Kostas Theofilis <roufianos_at_mac.com>
Date: Wed Sep 03 2008 - 20:30:52 EDT

On 4 Sep 2008, at 01:18, Ryan Vetter wrote:

> Hi:
> While I don't want to mess with a good thing, I was thinking... what
> would people say to a new Newtontalk forum? A nice forum interface
> subdivided into sections, like "Newton Software", "Lounge", etc.?

The main point against this is that a list is viewable on Newts. It is
just plain text, so the Newt can handle it. A full forum, while nice,
would be impossible to view on the Newton.

Also, many people prefer the convenience of a mailing list. It is
faster.

> Complete with an indexed, searchable knowledgebase, searching forum
> conclusions and an archive of Newton information could provide us
> with a powerful interface for acquiring information.

Newtontalk archives have a search feature.

> Don't get me wrong, Newtontalk is great, but a bit byzantine.

Newton is great, but a bit byzantine! Well, you are talking to a list
that uses an extinct harware platform!!

All in all, a nice idea but a bit 'too modern' I think.

Kostas