Re: [NTLK] Dream OS [WAS: "The iMoleskine ?" AND "Re: newtontalk Digest V8 #219"]

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu May 22 2008 - 03:52:40 EDT

Here's my question/complaint...

Linux is a complete rewrite of an OS.... And better, it's done by
geeks--guy who know and appreciate all the engineering and such that
goes into all this--so why is _every_ user interfact/window
manager/desktop environment such a slavish imitation of what already
exists? Ever since I started dabbling in Linux, I've been disappointed
in what's available--it's all Windows-like, and increasingly,
Apple-like. Worse, people haul out their screenies and videos of
compiz/fusion as real "groundbreakers". bleh.

So, with Linux, we have the opportunity to completely redesign the
user interface--and nobody is doing it. Anybody _could_ but nobody is!
Why is that? And yes, it's related to the Newton UI, because it should
be relatively easy to at least imitate most aspects of the Newton
UI--even pen input now, and with the unionfs, even union soups--yet
nobody's done/doing it...

IMO, instead of sitting here, complaining, let's get to work!

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland