Re: [NTLK] Interesting predictions

From: John Chu <johnchu_at_acm.org>
Date: Wed May 21 2008 - 17:50:22 EDT

On May 21, 2008, at 4:11 PM, Steve Cook wrote:
> Two of the four panelists
> (with hesitant support from a third) stated unequivocally that they
> expect
> Apple to introduce - or at least hint at - an up-sized iPhone
> platform.

The gang at MacBreak Weekly has been suggesting this for a while. (I
remember because every time they do it, I think, "Hey, I'd buy
something like that.") Personally, I'm hoping for something the size
of a Nokia N810, or, at the largest, an OQO Model 02. However, it
seems that before every major Apple event these days, someone
predicts a tablet type device. Maybe it's like Apple's switch to
Intel. If people keep predicting it, eventually it will happen.

> Something between a tablet PC and the current crop of i-Wonders.
> One even
> drew the comparison "like a Newton."

Even if Apple comes out with a mini-tablet type thing, I think
they're going to go out of their way to avoid any comparison to the
Newton. There aren't many people with positive memories of the
Newton. They probably all read this mailing list. To everyone else,
if they remember it at all, the Newton was this fiasco that Jobs
pulled the plug on. (Whether this is true or not is besides the point.)

In any case, if they did it, it would run the same operating system
that IPhone and iPod touch runs. The user experience would be
different from the Newton user experience. So, to say that it's "like
a Newton" would be misleading anyway.

                                                john