[NTLK] The "iMoleskine" ?

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun May 18 2008 - 10:25:31 EDT

This article via the New York Times makes me wonder ‹ yet again ‹ what is
keeping Apple from realizing that they need to get Newton 2.0 back into
production NOW?
http://tinyurl.com/6zal3e

It¹s an interesting look by John Markhoff at an argument that between the
laptop and the palm-size there¹s a gaping market for something sized in
between the two ‹ and Intel wants to fill it.

Among my little niggles with the article, Markhoff credits the Palm with
being the source of all the handhelds. Is this guy a 10 year-old or
something? Take away the Newton and where would the Palm have been?

But this 10 year-old tells us:

³Still, Intel has persevered, arguing that there is a ³use case² ‹ the
technology industry loves jargon ‹ based on the intersection of increasingly
accessible broadband wireless networks and the Web. We are going to want the
Web wherever we are. Think location, location, location.

³As a consequence, the Intel executives assert, the tiny cellphone display,
which was ideal for viewing an 11-digit phone number or several lines of
e-mail or text messaging, will be relentlessly stretched like taffy in all
directions.²

He follows up with some current possible options and mentions the recent lot
of ultralight laptops including the Apple Aero and the Lenovo, and things
like the Asus Eee and the Cloudbook. He finishes by saying, ³My guess is
that this kind of sub-ultralight laptop will grow toward a screen size of 9
or 10 inches and become thinner ‹ moving in a laptop direction.²

Errrr, sorry Mr. Markhoff, but didn¹t you start by saying, ³For want of a
better description, I propose that we label this jacket-pocket form-factor
the iMoleskine, after the Hemingway-esque notebooks that writers favor.²
How does a 9 or 10 inch screen qualify as your ³iMoleskine² and fit your
³jacket-pocket form-factor²? The only way I¹m likelly to have jackets with
pockets that big is if I dress up in a clown¹s costume.

And ³iMoleskine²? Duh! I propose we call it ³the Newton² ‹ and leave it
just the size it is ...

So, if there¹s all this market ‹ sorry, ³use case² ‹ what will it take to
move King Steven to re-Newton us?

Shalom.
Christian

            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant