Re: [NTLK] might give up on newton

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Sun May 18 2008 - 03:55:18 EDT

frustration. I too posted something similar some
months back, and still consider myself a new Newton
recruit.

There is much to learn about the Newton, sometimes it
is overwhelming. It can really do that much as a
device. But the real issue is the software, as you
say. The hardware is really meaningless without the
software, and much of it is locked down and pretty
much useless. I have tried several free titles but
nothing that really captured my attention.

In the end, I have settled on the basics, like word
processing, the date and address app, and a few other
things like the Wifi driver. There are a few titles I
want (Web browser), but I can't get them past the demo
mode. For instance, WordNewt (I think the dictionary
is called that) is demo. This is a must for many
people, but it is locked down. I have tried and tried
to unlock it to no avail.

Then there is Paul's flash memory card driver to
recognize CF cards of larger capacities. My 4 GB
Sandisk was recognized, but the demo mode only allows
the use of 4 mb. How useless. Sorry, I know people
put time into making these apps, but the rest of us
who still use the Newton should not be punished by
programmers abandoning their software. Why keep it
locked down? Specifically, the software that is not
even for sale anymore? I am sure some have their
reasons, but many titles are pretty much invalids
today.

Sure, Steve pulled the plug, but nobody said anyone
was going to get rich off writing Newton software.
And if people are frustrated because the plug was
pulled, take it out on Steve, not the consumers.

The Newton is still very much alive, I just wish other
people were too.

My suggestion, which is something I have advanced
before, it would be nice for something to compile a
list of the 50 best Newton apps, even ones that cost
money. I don't mind buying a few titles here and
there. If a list has already been compiled, I would
be grateful for someone to post it here or point me in
the right direction.

Thank you.