Re: [NTLK] might give up on newton

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Fri May 16 2008 - 12:00:42 EDT

On 15.05.2008, at 04:32, Brian Parker wrote:

> But thats a problem, who are the developers that will expand on that
> code? I released full source for my NewtChat AIM client in hopes that
> someone would be able to pick it up and get it working again, but
> nobody was interested. Maybe its just not something that enough
> people want. It might help to have development tools that run on
> current machines but those are unlikely given the very small number
> (zero?) of programmers around now. Giving out passwords or an
> unlocked version of old software is good but the source code is mostly
> useless.

I have to disagree very much. I have been involved in several larger
OpenSource projects (including Einstein as you may know). All of them
see developers comming and going. Some of them never get picked up,
some of them get a lot of steam all of a sudden.

OpenSource software is very much like real life. If you try to
organize a trip to Rome, you either make sure that you already have
folks interested in Rome, or you must advertise to get your crowd
together. I did not know that your software was available as source
code. I actually see very little source code available for the Newton
which is a real pitty.

Anyway, I am pretty confident that we will be able to set up a working
toolchain on OS X and MSWindows for the Newton pretty soon by tying
all threads together. I wonder if we can then set up a programming
course ofver a few days.

Matthias

----
http://robowerk.com/