Re: [NTLK] might give up on newton

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Mon May 12 2008 - 15:07:34 EDT

On May 12, 2008, at 11:32 AM, McHugh Frank wrote:
> I am getting tired of the software side of the newton,
> Chatbuddy is still the only IRC App for it which still
> payware 14day trial, newtscape the only good web
> browser for newton its still payware 14 day trial. the
> 2 above once the trial is over you have to reset the
> newton internal memory before you can get the red code
> if you want to buy it.
My memory of Newtscape is that it has a check box that you select
when you have paid. If your too lame to buy the software, you can
steal it quite easily. There is not need to reset the newton's
internal memory for Newtscape.

ALSO, Steve Weyer who developed this great program is still here on
the list is still accepting registrations as far as I know. Well
worth it.

> and look at all of this dead ware (use to be good
> software)
>
> i want to give up on the newton but i like the
> hardware so much, its bad there is so much deadware
> (most of the software) for the newton to make it
> usefull anymore.
>
> newton software developers should make a full unlocked
> version before they leave the creation for dead. i
> didnt know what i was getting in to when i bought my
> newton. i like the hardware but the lack of software
> makes it almost worthless cause of all of the
> deadware.
Some developers are gone, and because of the way Newton was
discontinued, it is not reasonable to demand/expect that they spend
there time/money providing free versions.

> the software i just about only use on my newton is
>
> wavelan driver (which the developer was kind enough to
> make a ful unlocked version before he gave up on
> developing for the newton).
That was great of him to do so, many thanks to him. I am glad I was
able to pay him for his work.

> ATA support (probably will remain a demo)
Yes, it's kind of sad that development isn't continuing on that, but
clearly Einstein is a more important for moving the Newton forward.

> chatbuddy (yea right $30) the only IRC client for the
> newton, i would have figured someone whould have made
> a free IRC client by now
I think there might be others. You are welcome to develop one and
give it away for free.

> Newtscape (the only good web browser for the newton
> $20) i can see why this is stil payware.
There is also Eckhart Koppen's excellent browser Courier, which is
unusual but very Newtonish and cool.

> and various games that are forever locked in demo mode
> or just dont work.
We all are sad about it.

> i am going to keep my newton this is just my rant of
> being pissed off about the software side of the newton.

There are many people on the list that have spent there time and
effort to try to improve things. What about the incredible, amazing
efforts of Simon Bell with regard to MailV? How about those
contacting developers and attempting to get stuff released, which is
a worthwhile activity. Many developers don't even know where the
sources are any longer (boohoo) unfortunately.

It's true there are many dead ends these days, but there are other
doors opening also.

Marty