[NTLK] Doug's Newtway v2

From: Andy Hill <adhill_at_fastmail.co.uk>
Date: Thu May 08 2008 - 20:42:32 EDT

Hi there

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have received one of Doug's new
Newtway adapters in the post and it fits and work really well.
I believe that for $12 this represents superb value and something worth
investing in and supporting Doug, having gone to the trouble of producing
them.

For anyone relatively new to the Newton like me who might not know what
these are, here is a description.

The Newtway is a small connector and cable that allows you to attach your
Newton to a palm portable or stowaway keyboard.
Because these keyboards are foldaway, they are ultra portable.They also feel
really comfortable to type with as the keys and key spacings are full size.
Here is a link to Doug's site, the newer model has an integral cable, mine
was 450mm long which seems just right. I believe longer options are
available.
See a picture of the old model on Doug's site:

http://www.ispinn.com/Newtway/

I have a palm3 / palm 7 portable keyboard in use with Doug's adapter. Here
is an example of this keyboard ebay:
(I have no link to the vendor).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110248561011&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

More information about the keyboard models you can use and a copy of the
driver see Grant Hutchinson's site here:

http://www.splorp.com/newton/stowaway/

You should note however that although the palm keyboards are really nice to
type with, you do miss out on some of the functions of the apple keyboard.

What works on my palm keyboard using the above driver is as follows:
General typing in lower and upper case, tab, arrow keys, space bar.
The 4 short cut keys work and pressing them once opens the app, pressing
again closes the app.

Date short cut key brings up Dates on Newt.
Phone short cut key brings up Names on Newt.
ToDo short cut brings up Dodo screen in Dates
Memo short cut brings up Notes on Newt.

What doesn't work:
Ctrl or Cmd key therefore no other shortcuts are available, like Ctrl A is
not available.
You can't use Thorsten Lange's Witty keys.
http://www.tl-it.de/newton/pages/wk.php?lang=e
Unlike the Newton keyboard there is no way of going to overview.
The backspace key only deletes one character for each press of the button.
Overall you have to use your stylus more to get around, but the typing
itself is great.

Hope this is useful to someone.

Andy