Re: [NTLK] Inkwell and cursive HWR in OS X

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu May 08 2008 - 01:30:19 EDT

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 11:43 PM, Larry Yaeger <lsynt@beanblossom.in.us> wrote:
> At 9:41 PM +0100 5/7/08, Lord Groundhog wrote:
> If I remember right, the cursive recognizer can learn, but I *think* you have to go through the little training exercise to make it do so. I know that was the case in early versions, but it's possible they made it learn on the fly. I don't think they ever got around to that, but I sure wouldn't swear to it.

From my own experience, it _does_ learn, not just you. Here's how you
can "tell." In the System HWR prefs (if you have alt.rec installed,
you need to choose that from alt.rec's prefs in the Notepad), make
sure you have "cursive" turned on, and choose "Letter Shapes" from the
popup down below. This window shows the various ways that people
write their letters. As you go through your letters, you will see
particular shapes outlined with a box. Those are what the HWR engine
has identified as _your_ style. Now, the cool part is that if you are
having problems with particular letters, you can manually chose a
style, yourself.

And in a side note, my own personal experience indicates that manually
choosing styles also works for printed recognition. I had a couple
letters (capital i, for one) that I fixed this way. For me, the best
way was to turn _off_ the styles I never use, by choosing "never" down
below. I cannot prove it works, but the HWR has always worked better
after I've done this, even with printed recognition. BTW, remember to
turn "printed" back on after you muck with the letter shapes window.
;-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland