Re: [NTLK] Inkwell and cursive HWR in OS X

From: Larry Yaeger <lsynt_at_beanblossom.in.us>
Date: Wed May 07 2008 - 14:38:01 EDT

At 6:46 PM +0100 5/7/08, Lord Groundhog wrote:
>At the risk of sounding ignorant (as good a word as any) could someone tell
>me, what is the standard of HWR in Einstein, and how is it accomplished? Is
>it ParaGraph/Apple, or did they have to do something else to avoid legal
>conflict?

The cursive recognizer in the Newton was Paragraph. The print recognizer in the Newton was Apple's own Mondello (nee Rosetta).

The (print) recognizer in Inkwell is Mondello, with some slight improvements in overall accuracy and much better handling of URLs.

Any real reductions in accuracy between the Newton's print recognizer and Inkwell probably are due to A) graphics tablet resolution or B) indirect writing. High-end graphics tablets shouldn't present any problems for the recognizer, but some of the cheaper, smaller tablets have very low resolution, so HWR suffers. Even for people who are used to it, writing in one place while looking in another is not as effective as directly writing where you are looking. There may also be a tiny effect due to the surface of most tablets being fairly smooth while the surface of the Newton's screen was deliberately roughened to provide better tactile feedback while writing.

Any difference in accuracy between Inkwell's Ink window (InkPad) and its write-anywhere input window is purely a result user behavior, because they use the precise same code. I suspect the person who was having better luck with the write-anywhere model was simply writing larger and more smoothly than when they tried to write between the smallish lines of the InkPad, hence they got better recognition results. There is no difference in performance on cursive, period. Cursive (really just better handling of occasional connected characters) was brought near to fruition internally, but was never quite finished, and never made it out the door.

- larryy