Re: [NTLK] Inkwell and cursive HWR in OS X

From: Simon Stapleton <simon.stapleton_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed May 07 2008 - 08:47:21 EDT

> Hi all - haven't posted in a long while. I just hooked up a tablet
> (Wacom) to my Mac for the first time ever, thinking I was going to
> have some HWR fun, Newton-style. To my great disappointment, it
> doesn't recognize cursive. (I eventually figured this out when every
> word I wrote was interpreted as the letter 'm'!) Obviously this is a
> not a new discovery but I had no idea. I'd heard of Inkwell and
> simply assumed they must have basically ported the HWR from the
> Newton.

What I have found is that the inkwell "pad" (the recognition window)
only recognises printed text, and rather poorly at that. If you turn
on "write anywhere", the little "sticky" type windows you get
recognise with a much higher accuracy, and seem to handle cursive a
lot better to boot.

What's certainly sure is that it's nowhere near up to the standards of
the Newt, and that's down to the lack of a decent cursive recogniser.

 From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handwriting_recognition :

>> A modern handwriting recognition system can be seen in Microsoft's
>> operating system running on Tablet PCs (notably Windows XP Tablet
>> PC Edition andWindows Vista). It is based on a Time Delayed Neural
>> Network (TDNN) classifier, nicknamed "Inferno", built at Microsoft.
>> Later on a version of CalliGrapher, the handwriting recognition
>> software used on Newton OS 2.0, which in 1999 Microsoft acquired
>> from ParaGraph International was integrated as a secondary
>> recognizer with the TDNN.

So yeah, looks like MS bought Calligrapher.

> Does Apple have any plans to put cursive recognition into Inkwell?

Who knows? His Steveness doesn't like HWR, or anything harking back
to the hated Scully and his bastard handheld thing.

If they did, it would mean acquiring or licensing someone else's
technology, or developing it in house.

> Are there other cursive recognizers as good as Paragraph?

Not that I personally have any experience with. http://www.ritescript.com/
  looks pretty good, and appears to be a further developed version of
what the newton has onboard.

Simon