Re: [NTLK] Looking for Newton software for socket communications pagecard

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 16:02:35 EDT

Frank,
  Before you spend a lot of time trying to get this thing to work, contact your local paging company and see if they will even activate it on their network. If I remember correctly, the Socket Page Card can no longer be activated on today's pager networks...In fact, most pagers that were sold from that era will no longer work on today's paging networks...

  When I used that device in my Newton 120, I dont' remember any software though....I just remember plugging it in to the PCMCIA slot (that's what they were called back then...no "PC card slot") and it would download any pages received and put them in the inbox automatically.
  Ed
  web/gadget guru
Frank Gruendel <newtontalk@pda-soft.de> wrote:
  Of course I checked Unna first, but Unna seems to be down. Does
anybody
out there have the Newton software for this card and can beam it my
way?
Or point me to a place where it can be downloaded_
Unless, of course, it is still sold and supported, which I doubt
because
used to be available for download free of charge at the socket
communications
site.

Thanks

Frank

Never mind that we just had an incredibly cold winter in North America and huge record snowfalls across the continent. As Al Gore said to a bunch of us the other day, these record cold spells and record snowfalls are actually caused by global warming. To which Jerry York replied, "Jeez then I guess we better stop this global warming before we all f**king freeze to death, eh?"

   - "Fake" Steve Jobs 3/24/08 blog entry