Re: [NTLK] [OT] Exact Measurement of King Henry

From: Larry Zasitko <l.zasitko_at_sasktel.net>
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 12:12:52 EDT

On 4-May-08, at 8:10 AM, John Ruschmeyer wrote:

> I grew up in a very small house built right after WWII by a builder of
> dubious reputation. Many years ago, we went to redo the bathroom and
> discovered that one of the walls had been framed with 4x2's (2x4's
> turned
> sideways), presumably to revcover the extra inch or so of space.
>
> John

It was common to use thinner walls back then when houses tended to be
smaller (especially wartime homes) where space was important. If there
is no plumbing in the wall there is no real reason to use bigger lumber.
You can still get 2x2 and 2x3 if you need them and they are mostly used
in basements to frame over concrete walls.

Now if you want to see the opposite where more is better look at the old
grain elevators, all lumber is laid flat and bottom is normally 2x12 and
reduce as you get higher. Reclaimers loved getting their hands on these,
the amount of lumber was incredible. Now they are built from
concrete....

Larry