Re: [NTLK] [OT] Exact Measurement of Newton 2000 Screen

From: G. Isten <gisela_at_tariffenet.it>
Date: Thu May 01 2008 - 12:02:25 EDT

Hi Doug,

I find these historical units absolutely fascinating -- and also logic, given that our ancestors felt the same need for standardization and reproduceability that we do. Still, every region and area had their own, and in the 21st century, with a globalized economy and global competition, IMHO there is no more room for anachronistic units. We haven't got time to waste trying to figure out if it may be planed down or not, where the speaker my come from and the like. A simple, standardized straight-forward system is a must, and that's the metric system.

For instance, on the Indian subcontinent lakhs and crores are still widely used. It can be very confusing having to deal with figures such as 1,00,00,000 where commas appear after nearly every other digit! And it's time-consuming having to convert amounts thus expressed in the US-dollar-based budget for an international project.

BTW -- anyone out there willing to measure their Newton screen? :-)

Cheers,

Gisela