Re: [NTLK] eMate hinge repair -- how to tell?

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Sun Mar 16 2008 - 09:16:22 EDT

> Is there way to tell if an eMate has undergone the hinge
> repair without actually taking apart the machine?

Unfortunately there isn't. The part of the hinge that you would
have to check is well hidden between the case and the main logic
board, and the important side is facing the main logic board.
Even if the hinges HAVE been disassembled, fixed and re-glued you
wouldn't necessarily notice this if you were looking at the
right side directly.

Things are slightly easier if the person who did the fix installed
the washers as it is recommended. If you see washers, I guess you
can safely assume that the hinges are fixed, too. Unfortunately
you can only see the washers after removing the main logic board.

The only chance you MIGHT have is taking it with you on a flight
and asking the people who xray your hand luggage to help. I have no
idea if such a small washer can be recognized in such an xray, but
it'd be worth trying. These xray machines are quite amazing nowadays.

Frank