Re: [NTLK] OT: OLPC

From: L.W. Brown <LwB_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue Mar 11 2008 - 19:11:14 EDT

Actually, I think I agree with you. My complaint about intuitive use
was more with the built-in programs than with the OS itself. Also, I
simply do not like chiclet keyboards (tho they can be protected and
kept clean much more easily).
I do think that installing apps via the terminal is meant for adult
supporters rather than kid users.
It was briefly reviewed by 2 panelists in a This Week in Tech (TWIT)
Mac podcast a couple of weeks ago. Just as with one of them, I found
that connecting to WiFi was impossible. However, the other commenter
noted OLPC's difficulty with WAP had been addressed by an update (that
had to be installed by terminal).
To me, this is clearly a system for kids with decent tech support -
not just kids on their own.
The screen, however, is marvelous for the size & cost, and TWIT Mac
noted it is much better (with more pixels) than the one in the Asus
"eee PC"...