Re: [NTLK] eMate software

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Mar 05 2008 - 00:33:50 EST

Hello,

--- Woody Smith <woodysmith@comcast.net> wrote:

>I don't think that there needs to be rules as to what
>can be included on this list except to indicate its
>fit to the eMate and whether it is fully functional.

Yes, that sounds about right: the title and a brief
overview describing what the software does is about
all that's needed. If it's a commercial package,
listing the publisher might aid someone in their
search for a copy.

About the only other parameter you might ask people to
include would be a "suggested age range" for any
educational packages. You know, so some poor
six-year-old doesn't end up having a "fun" long
division package foisted upon him by an anxious dad or
something. ¬_¬

There's probably room for expansion in terms of the
software categories, but "Educational" and "Games" are
a pretty solid start. The educational titles seem to
generate the most interest in the eMate, so you may
want to keep that as the lead category. [shrugs]

Frankly, I'm curious to see what other educational
software turns up. Most references to the eMate being
used in an academic setting seemed to involve
NewtWorks or the eProbe package. Try as I might, I
couldn't seem to uncover anywhere near the "dozens" of
educational software packages that the Pen Computing
article alluded to.

Best,

James Fraser