Re: [NTLK] eMate software

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Mar 02 2008 - 17:29:24 EST

Hello,

--- Woody Smith <woodysmith@comcast.net> wrote:

> software. Here is a list that I have tested, which
>runs as if designed for the eMate or fits and plays
>well.

I've taken the list you've provided and added to it a
bit. All the educational packages mentioned in the
thread so far have been included. If a given package
is commercial, I've indicated so and listed the
publisher to help anyone who goes looking for it. The
games are still there and are listed after the
educational entries.

If a package can be found in the UNNA archives, I've
indicated it's there and left it at that. If it lies
outside the archives, the URL is provided (when I
could find it).

The hope behind my initial query was that anyone
looking for educational software for the eMate would
have a master list of titles (with brief descriptions)
to look at. A "What's out there for the
eMate?"-thread seems to crop up every now and again
and I thought a list of known titles might help to
answer that question quickly and more thoroughly.
[shrugs]

There are some comments after the KidsMath entry that
should be taken out later. However, if the packages
mentioned in the comments are eMate-compatible, then
three more entries can be added.

Anyway, the updated list is now yours to do whatever
you want with. From what little I can tell, there
weren't all that many educational packages written for
the eMate that made it to market. If that's the case,
making the list a complete one might not take much
more additional effort. [shrugs]

eMate Software

Educational

Author's Tool Kit (A structured writing guide for kids
in grades 4-12 to help draft, organize and proof their
writing; commercial, Sunburst)

eBase (a simple database add-on for NewtonWorks;
freeware, UNNA Archives)

eProbe (Hardware/software package that performs
sample-taking and manipulation of the received data;
freeware)

"The hardware consists of sensors that connect to an
interface box that in turn attaches to the serial port
of the eMate. Data from the sensors may be tabulated
or graphed either manually or automatically. Students
can set the frequency and duration of the samples. The
software can record data from two probes
simultaneously."

Note: without the hardware, the software is
nigh-useless, but here it is:

http://tinyurl.com/zsbgg

Kidsmath 2.0 (Simple math practice for children over
the age of three; freeware)

I found KidsMath here, but the download link is dead.
Can anyone confirm if the three others packages
located here are eMate-compatible or not? The links
for Geometry Contruction Set 1.0 and UnitMath 2.03
still seem to work; the one for PBJ's Math Fun does
not.

http://mirrors.unna.org/download.planetnewton.com/download/Education/edumath.htm

Lathe .9b (simple 3D modeller for Newton OS; freeware)

http://www.tucows.com/preview/33198#MoreInfo

MathFaster (Basic math skills game; commerical, Sealie
Computing). Free Demo Version (addition only) can be
found here:

http://www.sealiecomputing.com/mathfaster/

NR404, (Produces electric drum beats and tracks with
user-definable tempos; freeware)

http://mirrors.unna.org/download.planetnewton.com/download/media/addingsound.htm

Type to Learn (Keyboarding course for students in
grades K-12; commercial, Sunburst)

Games

aMAZEing 1.0 (simple maze game; freeware, UNNA
Archive)

Chiral Deluxe 0.96b (molecular construction game;
abandonware, UNNA Archive)

CopyCat-1.04 (game that plays like "Simon;" shareware,
UNNA Archive)

Jig!™ 1.5.1 (Puzzle game fits screen well and plays
well; freeware, UNNA Archive)

Labyrinth 1.1 (not eMate but looks and plays well)

Life 1.4 (life simulation fits eMate display and has
good play)

Lunar Lander (commercial, Landware)

Match 1.0 (one person version of the classic game
concentration, freeware)

http://mirrors.unna.org/download.planetnewton.com/download/games/board3.htm

Match' em 1.0 (Match'Em is a "Concentration" style
pairs-matching game, freeware)

http://mirrors.unna.org/download.planetnewton.com/download/games/board3.htm